Genocide Watch urges UN to warn India to not commit massacre in Kashmir
WASHINGTON (News Lab) – Genocide Watch – a U.S. based organization that exits to build an international movement to predict, prevent, stop, and punish genocide and other forms of mass murder – has issued an alert for Indian-occupied Kashmir in the wake of India’s ongoing atrocities, aggression and clampdown in the Muslim majority region.
“On August 5, 2019, the Indian President revoked the Special Autonomous Status of India Administered Jammu and Kashmir under under Articles 370 and 35A of the Constitution of India. India has over 600,000 troops in Kashmir. Movement of people and freedom of the press are restricted. India has cut off internet communications,” Genocide Watch stated in its alert.
Explaining the reasons behind issuing the alert, the organisation also recalled the Indian atrocities in Kashmir where occupation forces have already committed genocide and massacres, killing thousands of people with impunity.
The organisation has also given a list of risk factors for a genocide that are early warnings of massacres in occupied Kashmir:
1. Prior genocidal massacres and continuing impunity for such killings;
2. Continued armed conflict between India and Pakistan over border areas in Kashmir;
3. An exclusionary ideology of “Hindutva” – India as Hindu nation – by Modi’s ruling BJP;
4. Authoritarian military rule without legal restraints imposed by civilian Indian officials;
5. Rule by a minority military force (Hindus and Sikhs) over majority Muslim citizens;
6. Cut-off of communications and outside access by internet, media, and trade;
7. Widespread violations of basic human rights – torture, rape, 2-year detentions without charge, arbitrary arrests and deportations of Muslim political and human rights leaders.
Genocide Watch’s stages of the genocidal process are also far advanced:
1. Classification: Hindu and Sikh Indian Army “us” vs. Kashmiri Muslim civilian “them;”
2. Symbolization: Muslims have Muslim names (on ID cards), Kashmiri language, dress, mosques;
3. Discrimination: Hindu pandits were economically dominant until 1990; BJP reasserted Hindu power;
4. Dehumanization: Muslims are called “terrorists”, “separatists,” “criminals,” “insurgents;”
5. Organization: 600,000 heavily armed Indian Army troops and police dominate Kashmir;
6. Polarization: Modi and the BJP incite anti-Muslim hatred; social media spread falsehoods;
7. Preparation: The Indian Army occupies Kashmir; BJP leaders speak of the “Final Solution” for Kashmir;
8. Persecution: Kashmiri Muslims are locked down, subject to arrest, torture, rape, and murder;
Genocide Watch has urged the United Nations and its members to warn India not to commit genocide in Kashmir.
Earlier today, Prime Minister Imran Khan issued yet another call to the international community for efforts to prevent “an impending genocide of Kashmiris” in occupied Kashmir.
He called for attention to the “plight of millions of Kashmiris living under brutal Indian occupation, abuse and violence, deprived of all fundamental rights & freedom.
“He said the Indian occupation forces have trampled upon the rights of Kashmiris to “observe their religious practices, including Eidul Azha”.PM Imran urged the world to act with urgency “to prevent an impending genocide of Kashmiris in IOK”.